Forums

Post has published by Bosst
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Keymaster

This is one of the articles that was submitted to the contest It was written by Stonetitus

– Vocabulary of Orc Language –

1. Introduction

Zathroth one of the gods, seeing Fafnar’s wicked instincts and her destructive powers, decided to seduce her. The result of this relationship was Brog – the Crazy Titan. The Titan’s first creation was Garsharak, giving rise to a race of dragons. Through his vanity, Brog also created Cyclops, creatures similar to himself. Zathroth, seeing what potential his son had, ordered him to create a race more terrifying and destructive than the Cyclopes. This is how trolls and goblins came into existence, but his greatest work was the orcs, terrifying creatures that live only to rule and reproduce [1].

Orcs have developed a sense of the community they live in. Some races believe that they are able to sense the feelings of their fellows. They have their own language, and although they are able to learn the languages of other humanoids, they don’t often feel like it. More educated orcs can use human letters to write orc texts. They also have a written language, but few modern orcas can read it [2][3].

The clues to the Orcish language are mainly found on Rookgaard, the island of beginners. One of the few pieces of information we come across is the story of a traveler described in a book, in the libraries of the academy. He came across a group of green-skinned beings conversing in their language. The author points out their greeting. One of them said ‘charach’ and the other answered him in the same way [4].

„I overheared the greenskined brutes. ‘charach’ (or so) one said and the other responded the same way, then they began to chat in their strange language, certainly talking about some gruesome plot against mankind.” [4]

We learn the next words from one of the residents of Rookgaard – Amber – a traveler and adventurer. She was one of the few to return to the island from the mainland. Amber clashed with orcs several times. She ended up in captivity, becoming their prisoner for several months. Phrases such as ‘mok’ and ‘burp’ she will reveal to us for free, another for salmon.

Player: yes

Amber: It’s ‘mok’ in Orcish. I tell you more if you bring me some food.

Player: no

Amber: In Orcish that’s ‘burp’. I tell you more if you bring me some food.

Amber: Thank you. Orcs call arrows ‘pixo’.

In the northern parts of the Rookgaard you’ll find underground caves which were occupied by the Minotaurs along with their slaves, orcs. The cave complex is formed by 3 hideouts, of which the most interesting due to the analyzed language is the room called the Bear Room. There we can find barrels of water, equipment intended for fighting but not only. The chests also contain bottles, gift, pottery, rope, scrolls, etc., and, most importantly, 3 books written in the green-skinned language.

Obraz zawierający tekst, sprzęt elektroniczny, zrzut ekranu, wyświetlanie Opis wygenerowany automatycznie Obraz zawierający tekst, zrzut ekranu, sprzęt elektroniczny, wyświetlanie Opis wygenerowany automatycznie Obraz zawierający tekst, sprzęt elektroniczny, zrzut ekranu, wyświetlanie Opis wygenerowany automatycznie

According to the creators, it probably all comes down to the possibility of talking to Blind Orc – a blacksmith on the rock in the northern part of Rookgaard. The orc is not able to see who he is talking to, so we are able to outsmart him by communicating in their language. By knowing the basic phrases given directly and the text from books, by trial and error, we finally come to a full dialogue. We gain certainty about some keywords for which we receive certain benefits. The full list of words with a probable translation will be provided later in the article.

On the west side of the Facc, you will find orc fortresses. We are warned against the area of green-skinned monsters by two signs with the inscriptions: ‘FuTCHi MaRuK buTA!’ and ‘BuRP HuMAk BaTASh!’. Access to the fortress is guarded by a guard. When you try to go inside, you won’t be let in. At the same time, the orc will turn to us as’ Humak! Fetchi!’. The only way to go further is to dress up as an orc by completing one of the parts of the Rookie Guard Quest.

Obraz zawierający mapa Opis wygenerowany automatycznie Obraz zawierający mapa Opis wygenerowany automatycznie

1. Cipsoft

What clues does CIPSOFT give us? To openly ask a question about how the orc language arose would end up just like any other mystery in Tibia – no specific answer. So I used my ticket to ask who its creator was. Solkrin answered me.

Obraz zawierający tekst Opis wygenerowany automatycznie

The answer was clear, Knightmare was mostly responsible for the creation of the orc language. In one of his interviews on the TibiaBR.com website on May 9, 2010, we can find a question that relates directly to the Tibian languages.

TibiaBR – Tibian languages, such as the Orc Language and the Beholder Language were created in a well worked way, with grammar rules and everything, just like the sindarin and other Tolkien languages?

Knightmare – The orc language was an early quest device. Admittedly, probably too complicated and spoiler vulnerable for a closed environment like Rookgaard but it was very basic. Even the stuff the orc monsters are saying had (partly) some meaning but most of it was never formally written down and it would be rather hard even for me to reconstruct it. The beholder language is a completely different issue though. We hired an actual beholder to write down texts for us. It resides still in the company basement and refuses to leave. The screaming of the dwarfs we have to feed him once a day haunts us even in our dreams. The worst thing is we have no means to tell if the beholder actually wrote down what we dictated him. Chances are his texts are some tasteless jokes and bad beholder poetry. Yet no one in the office had the guts to voice our doubts towards the beholder. Have you ever heard of the CipSoft employee Hans Christian Strakeldum? No? We neither after he went down into the cellar to tell the beholder to stop whistling that loud …” [6].

The orcish language was intended mainly for the quest – getting a salmon, then exchanging it for the words you learned one by one, which ultimately led to the purchase of a bow and arrows. However, in the statement, we can read that even the words spoken by the orcs had some meaning, but nowadays even its creator would be difficult to reconstruct them [6].

1. Translation

On one of the Tibia fan pages, I found a post in which it was claimed that someone once knew the orc language and it was based on the language of the proto-Slavs. I haven’t found any information other than this one rumor about a connection or a solution. The first attempts were, of course, when it came to the ‘real linguist’ with the help of a Google translator, looking for the meanings of words in the orc language with words from countries that have their roots in pre-Slavic (mainly West Slavic and South Slavic countries). I noticed a lot of similarities in wording and notation.

Due to the fact that the sources of only the Proto-Slavic language were insufficient, I extended my research to the Proto-Indo-European language and its evolutions.

In the table I present possible translations of orc words. I used sites that allow you to look up the history of a given word, online dictionaries, and volumes of the pre-Slavic dictionary for this purpose. Where necessary, I have given in parentheses where the word comes from in abbreviated form (usually a few letters). I hope that most of them will be understandable. The purpose of the table was to find words with similar pronunciation or notation.

Table 1. Probable etymology of the Orc language

# Orc words Logical or found translation etymologeek.com/ [7] „Słownik prasłowiański”(„Proto-Slavic dictionary”) [8] en.wiktionary.org/ [9] lingea.pl [10]
    1. Aka bora Leather armor *h₂eǵ-(PIE)-to drive, plough animal->*h₂éǵeti(PIE)-to be driving->*akaną(PGER)-to ache, to drive, sail, navigate->aka(ONOR)-to drive(e.g. a cart)->aka(OSWE)-to drive borgъ(borga)-protection, cover, what they protect, covers, a protective roof on the poles to protect e.g. hay bʰerH(PIE)-strike, drill bora(CRO, SRB)-wrinkle, borac(CRO, SRB)-warrior, fighter
    *bʰrewe-(PIE)->*bʰer-(PIE)->*beraną(PGER)-to carry, to bear->beran(OENG)->to bear, carry, to bring forth, produce, give birth, to sustain, support, to wear->bora(OENG)->bearer(only attested in compounds) borъ(bora)-fight(typical for the second member of old personal names, eg Woj-bor, Woj-warrior, bor-fight. It can mean: Fight of a warrior, fighting warrior, etc.)
    *bʰerH-(PIE)-to pierce, strike->*burōną(PGER)-to bore, to drill, pierce->bora(ONOR)->bora(OSWE)-to drill, penetrate borьba-wrestling, fight, battle
    brъn’a-armor, cuirass
    2. Alk *h₁olHk-(PIE)-> *alkā(PALB) alkë(PALB)->ajkë(ALB)-acidified milk fat, thick white liquid obtained from milk, cream
    *h₁el-(PIE)-elbow->*allakǭ(OGER)-a kind of sea bird->alka(ONOR)->alka(SWE)-auk, bird in the family Alcidae *h₁olHk-(PIE)->*òlkati(PSLAV)-to be hungry->álkti(LIT)-to be hungry
    3. Aluk aluk(HIN)-absence of elision or omission
    4. Arash ráðast að(ISL)->árás(ISL)-attack, assault ara(TUR)-distance, aras(TUR)-between
    *Raxsā-(PIRA)-swift-flowing->Aras(PER)->Aras(TUR)-river in the Caucasus
    5. Arga Above arg(OHGER)-bad, wicked godless +-ī(OHGER)->argi(OHGER)-meanness h₂eǵ-ro(PIE)-hunting, slaughter->agrom(PCEL)-hunting, slaughter
    *h₃erǵʰ-(PIE)->*argaz(PGER)->unmanly, cowardly, unworthy, indecent->arga(OHGER)
    6. Ba Bʰo(PIE)->Ba(PBAL-SLA)-for, to, on, from, of, after Ba!-expression of surprise, doubt, assumption, disapproval, confirmation, disgust
    7. Bana Gʷʰen(PIE) – strike, kill, push->Banô(PGER)-battlefield, path, clearing, open space, route->Bana(OENG)-a slayer, a murderer, something which causes death Ban’a-bathhouse, dome, domed vessel, bulbous, hollow, pit, something convex, spherical, pit gʷʰon-eh₂(PIE)-hit, kill->banō(PGER)-battlefield, path, track baňa(SVK)-mine
    8. Bata Armor or helmet *bū-(PIE)->*bhau(t)-(PIE)->battuere(LAT)->battere(LLAT)->batre(CAT)-to beat batъ(bata)-a tool for hitting(whip, stick, club, hammer), also with similar objects: branch, stem, sprout, strike, string bat(CRO, SRB, SVN, CZK)-whips, bat(SVK)-piston
    bat’a-a word used when addressing respectfully to someone, brother
    9. Batash bãtas(LIT)-shoe, boot batata(SVN)-sweet potato, Batoh(SVK, CZK)-backpack
    10. Batuk Bow bʰug, bʰugʰ, bʰāǵʰus(PIE)-ram, arm->bugô(PGER)-bow bauk(CRO)-scare
    11. Booz *gwosdʰ-(PIE)->*bostā(PCEL)-palm, fist->*bos(PBRE)-hand->boz(BRE)-hollow of the hand bez(CRO, SVK, CZK, PL)-without
    boza(SRB-CRO)-bosa(a fermanted malt drink)
    12. Bota buttis(LAT)->cask, barrel->bota(GLG)-boot botъ(bota)-hitting tool, pole, fishing pole to scare fish away bota(CZK)-shoe, blooper
    botach(OIRI)-rustic, peasant, serf
    13. Brak brack(GER)->brak(CRH)-defect bråk(SWE)-brawl, row, racket, trouble
    *borkъ(PSLA)->brak(SRB-CRO)-marriage
    braka(ONOR)-to creak, crack->braka(WESTROBOTHNIAN)-burst, break, come of with a bang, rush forward with vehemence, expresses the beginning of an action that takes place vehemently
    brak(MLGER)->brak(PL)-lack, dearth, scarcity
    14. Bretz *bʰrewh₁-(PIE)->*burdą(PGER)-board plank, table->bret(OHGER) *bʰrédʰ-e-ti(PIE)-to wade->*bredza(PALB)->bredh(ALB)-to wander, roam, stroll, to go fast, run, to skip, jump, leap, frolic, caper brez(SVN)-without, brečet(CZK)-cry
    *braidaz(PGER)-broad, wide->breiðr(ONOR)-broad->bred(OSWE) *bresti(PSLA)-to wade
    *brēdaną(PGER)-to roast(meat), to warm, heat, broil->breda(OFS)-to roast *bʰredʰ-(PIE)->*bred(PBALSLA)->brìsti(LIT)-to wade
    15. Brik *bherw-(PIE)->*brugjǭ(PGER)-bridge->bryggja(ONOR)->brig(MENG)->brig(ENG)-a jail or guardhouse, especially in a naval military prison or jail on a ship, navy base, a two-masted vessel, square-rigged on both foremast and mainmast, bridge brík(ONOR)->brik(WBOT)-bench, bench board, shelf, niche, rim above the stove, slab or bricked board shelf over the stove, shelf on the baking oven wall, seat board with hole
    *bʰren-(PIE)->*brinkaz(PGER)->edge of land, hill->*brenka(ONOR)->brikka(SWE)
    16. Burka Short sword burkati-make deaf, deep sounds, growl, purr burka(SVN)-burka, farce, burkež(SVN)-jester, clown, burka(SVK, CZK)-burka, búrka(SVK)-storm
    burkat-make noise
    17. Burka bata Sword Look up
    18. Burp No bura(CRO)-indignation
    19. Buta Stupid butěti(PSLA)->buta(PL)-arrogance, haughtiness butati-strike, making a noise
    20. Butak
    21. Charach Hi ḱerh₂(PIE)-hurną(PGER)-horn, trumpet->harah(FRANK)
    harugaz(PGER)-stone pile,(pagan) altar, sanctuary
    22. Charcha Sabre
    23. Dekklep *þakjaną(PGER)-to cover(with a roof)->thecken, decchī(OHGER)->decke(MHG)->decke(GER)-any cloth or cushion used as a covering, a tablecloth, blanket, quilt, duvet, etc.. ceiling, roof deglo-hole, hole in the boat deḱ(PIE)-wash, perceive

dekla(SRBCRO)-girl

deklȅ(SVN)-girl, girlfriend

*þakjaną(PGER)->decken(GER)-cover, meet, protect, set

*klappōn(PWGER)->klappon(ONL)->kleppen(NL)-to chatter

deka(CRO, SVN, CZK)-quilt, decagram, klepat(SVK, CZK)-tap, klep(CZK)-rumor
    dekti degǫ-burn klep(PIE)-steal
    24. Donga Brass shield dukkǭ(PGER)-muscles, strength, power->docga(OENG)-a mighty kind of dog, a hound dǫga-curvature, bend, arc dʰengʰ(PIE)-cover, overcast
    deňgti-cover, reveal, clothe dunga(ONOR)-cover
    25. Dora Shield dʰerw(PIE)-clouding, dirt, darken, darken, dull, hold, hold tight, support->durô(PGER)->dora(OENG)-bumblebee dorъ(dora)-tearing, tearing, what was created as a result of tearing, tearing, tearing: clearings, news, thin boards splitting a tree trunk
    dora-a hole created, for example, as a result of damage to an object, tear, crevice, scissura, foramen, conscissura ‘, hollow, hollow, pit, cavity, cave, burrow
    děra-a hole formed, for example, a ribbon of damage to an object, a tear, a gap, a depression
    dāru-a piece of wood, a log, wood, a wooden object
    26. Ferut féru(POR) – iron
    *bʰerH-(PIE)-to pierce, strike->feriō(LAT)-hit, strike, smite, beat, knock, injure, cut, stamp, make a deal or contract, convenant or treaty->ferî(FRIULIAN)-to wound, injure, hurt
    *ǵʰwer-(PIE)-wild animal->ferus(LAT)-wild, savage, incivilized, untamed, rough, fierce, cruel
    *per-(PIE)-before, in front, first->ferrai(PGER)-far, distant->fer(OHGER)-remote, far->ferro(OHGER)-afar, skipper
    fer(OFRE)-iron(metal), sword(made of iron), crueal, harsh, fierce, ferocious
    27. Fetchi
    28. Futchi Bye
    29. Futgyr futer(CRO)-padding
    30. Gort ǵʰortós(PIE)-fence, farm->gortos(PCEL) ǵʰer(PIE)-miss, close, intestines gor(SVN)-up, on top, dort(CZK)-cake
    31. Goshak Offer / Trade / Buy gōshafoc(OENG)->goshawk(ENG)-any of the few raptors mainly of the genus Accipiter groša-to impose a financial penalty, to take someone’s money, property, rob, plunder grossus(LAT)-coarse, unrefined, young, green, immature, thick, large, great->groschen(GER)-any of a number of(chiefly obsolete) coins with a related name->grȍš(SRBCRO)-pin money
    32. Grak grakati-croak, scream
    33. Grofa Studded helmet gʰrewbʰ(PIE)->grof(ODUT, MLGER, OSAX)-thick, rough grǫbъ-rough, raw, untreated grof(CRO)-earl, gróf(SVK) – earl
    34. Grow gʰreh₁w(PIE)->grāwā(PCEL)-pebbles, gravel grěno-sprouting, greening, green, flourishing grof(CRO)-earl, gróf(SVK)-earl
    gʰreh₁(Proto-Indo-European)-grow
    35. Gulu *gel-(PIE)-cold->kalaną(PGER)-to be cold, to freeze guļu(LVA)-i am sleeping
    36. Hakhak Hatchet keng(PIE)->hak(SCO)->hakkōną(PGER)-hack, hoe hák(SVK, CZK)-hook
    37. Harga h₂elgʷʰos(PIE)->hargʰas(PII)->harga(ID)-prize, value
    38. Humak Human *ǵʰðʰem-(PIE)->humi(LAT)-on the ground, to the ground->humanus(LAT)-a human, mortal, cultured, refined humak(CRO)-a grave, a mound, human(SVN)-human
    39. Ikem I eǵHóm(PIE)->ek(PGER)-i->ik(OSAX, MLGER, LGER)-i
    h₁ésti(PIE)-to be->izmi(PGER)->em(ONOR)
    40. Karak karakán(HUN)-gritty, spirited, resolute, unyielding jarak(CRO)-channel, ditch, korak(CRO)-step, krak(CRO)-horn, point, shovel, tentacle, korak(SVN)-step, krak(SVK)-squid
    karakol(TUR)-police station
    *ǵh̥₂reh₂(PIE)->*karō(PGER)-care, concern, complaint, lament, grievance, moan, worry, sorrow->kara(OHGER)
    kr(PIE)->keres(PIE)->kara(PALB)-clear, sound, real, honest, natural, undamaged
    41. Karakim Look at Karak
    ím(HUN)-this, behold, see
    42. Karek *ǵh̥₂reh₂(PIE)->*karō(PGER)- care, concern, complaint, lament, grievance, moan, worry, sorrow->*kara(ODT)->kare(DUM)
    43. Ki *péḱu(PIE)-livestock->*ḱwṓ(PIE)-dog->*kū(PCEL)-dog, wolf->*ki(PBRY)-dog->ki(BRE)-dog
    *kъ(PSLA)->*kъjь(PSLA)-which->ki(SERCRO)-wich, that, who
    44. Kiskesh kiskoidak(PFIN)-to pull, to wrench, to tear->kisk(LIV)-tear kyšьka(PSLA)-intestine, entrails->kishke(ENG)-a dish madre from stuffed intestine, related to çup(ALB)-without tail, maimed
    45. Klamuk sukka(PGER)->*hukka(PFIN)-loss, ruin, destruction->ukā(LAV) klam(SVK, CZK)-illusion, klamat(SVK, CZK)-lie, confuse, pamuk(CRO)-wool
    *auk(PGER)-also, too, furthermore, in addition, and->ok(ONOR)-also, too, yoke->uk(GUT)
    klam(MLG)->klam(DAN)-unpleasant, repulsive. Uncomfortably damp and cold
    46. Krak krojiti(PSLA)-cut off->krajь(PSLA)-edge, finish->krah(ALB)-arm, armful, armrest, flank, shoulders and upper back, wing krak(CRO)-horn, spike, shovel, tentacle, krak(SVK)-squid
    korkъ(PSLA), Krak(SRBCRO)-bifurcation, branch(rivers, roads, etc.), limb(frogs and certain animals such as octopus or crab), tentacle
    47. Kroah krah(GER)-crash noise->крах(krakh)(RUS)-failure, crash, ruin, bankruptcy
    48. Krow gʰreh₁(PIE)-grow->korva(PSLA)-cow->krowa(PL) krúh₂s(PIE)-blood krow(CRO, SRB, SVN, SVK, CZK)-cow
    kruˀ(PBALSLA)->krovъ(PSLA)-roof->krow(USRB)
    krewh₂s(PIE)-blood->krowos(PCEL)-blood->krow(COR)
    49. Maruk merw(PIE)->marwaz(PGR)-brittle, delicate, soft, gentle->maru(ODUT)
    mr̥wós(PIE)->marwos(PCEL)-death->marw(PBRY)-death->maru(MBRE)
    50. Mash’n mozgo(PIE)->maskwǭ(PGER)-mesh, knot, loop->maiskaz(PGER)-mixture->mash(MENG) maston(CRO)-fat, masa(SRB, SVN, SVK)-mass, masna(CZK)-butchery
    51. Mok Yes
    52. Mora mor-t(PIE)-death->mor/mora(PSLA)->mora(SERCRO)-nightmare mora(PSLA)-night ghost, nightmare mora(CRO, SRB, SVN)-nightmare, mora(SVK)-moth, mor(CZK)-plague
    53. Muhmak momok(CRO)-boy
    54. Napak napak(SRBCRO)-wrong, wrongly, incorrectly, in a wrong way napaka(SVN)-error, defect, blemish, damage, indisposition
    55. Nixda nichts da(GER)-nothing there
    56. Omark oma(PFIN)(FIN)(EST)-usually plural, friendly, someone on the same side, military, own oma(GER)-granny
    *умъ(OESLA)->oma(LAV)-mood
    57. Ouk h₂weg(PIE)->auk(PGER)-also too, moreover, additionally, and, but->ōk(ODUT)
    58. Pashak Sell
    59. Pixo Arrows piccus(LAT)-sharp tip
    60. Porak pórḱos(PIE)-piglet
    perḱ(PIE)-to dig
    61. Prek pro-ko(PIE)->praka(PALB)->prek(ALB)-i ruin(ferments or drink preparation), i touch(also figuratively) preḱ(PIE)-request preko(CRO, SVN)-by, after, over, prak(SVK, CZK)-slingshot, preč(SVK)-far, pre(SVK)-because of, for, prvek(CZK)-element
    préḱs(PIE)->precarius(LAT)-doubtful, uncertain, obtained by treaty or by ordinary grace, related to a treaty or a petition->precor(LAT)-i beseech, beg, pray, entreat, i wish well or ill(to someone), i greet with a wish->prekär(GER)-uncertain
    62. Puchak ati(PSLA)->puxati(PSLA)-blow, swell->puchati(OCZK) prhak(CRO)-fluffy, puch(SVK) – stench
    63. Rambo
    64. Ranat rana(PSLA)->rana(PL)-wound zanat(CRO)-craft, rana(CRO, SRB, SVN)-wound, ravnati(SVN)-straighten something, act on it, handle someone / something, operate it, rana(SVK)-wound, catastrophe, defeat, misfortune, blow, bang, crash, raný(CZK)-initial, early
    65. Ruzad úruszág(OHUN)->rusag(SRBCRO)-state, country, land
    rōsa(OHGER)->ruuz(WYM)-rose(shrub)
    rus(NLD)-a grass like plant, sod, turf of soil, grass, reed or other vegetation
    66. Ta diǵ(PIE)->ta(OENG)-big toe *dagaz(PGER)-day->tag(OHGER)-day->ta(UGER)-day ta(CRO)(SRB)(CZK)(SVN)-this, those, tá(SVK)-this, those
    67. Taka *dh₁g-(PIE)->*tēkaną(PGER)-to grasp, to hold, to touch->taka(ONOR)-to take þoka(ONOR)->tåke(NO)-a for, mist
    *taka(PURA)-a place behind->*taka(PFIN) *tako(PSLA)-thus, so, in such a way->така́(BG)-that way, thus, so
    68. Tars der(PIE)->tersaz(PGER)- nail->teors(OENG)->tars(MENG tovȃriš(SRBCRO)-comrade tras(SVK)-trembling
    társ(HUN)-companion, fellow, mate, partner, associate
    *dáḱru-(PIE)-tear->*tahrą(PGER)->tár(ONOR)-tår(SWE)-a tear
    69. Tefar tefaran(OSAX)-to consume, to decay trefa(SVK)(CZK)-hit
    70. Trak torkъ(PSLA)->traka(SRBCRO)-belt, ribbon tragen(GER)-waer trk(CRO)-trot, trag(CRO)-trace, traky(SVK)-suspenders
    71. Truk derew(PIE)->trukōną(PGER)-miss, fail->trucian(OENG)-fail, fall *stronk-o-(PIE)->*strǫkъ(PSLA)-pod->truk(USOR)-silique truk(SVK)(CZK)-fat
    72. Tulak bora Studded armor telh₂-(PIE)->þuljaną(PGER)-to bear, to endure->þola(ONOR)->tula(SCA) tulák(SVK, CZK)-a vagabond, a wanderer
    Look at bora
    73. Ugaar ugar(SRBCRO)-fallow, land ugar(CRO)(SRB)-lie fallow
    weyk(PIE)->wikǭ(PGER)-week->uga(SCANIAN)-week
    74. Ul welʷ(PIE)-rotate, wind, roll->wala(PALB)->ul(ALB)-(figuratively) degrade, bend or tilt down, diminish, lower, sit, land the plane, sit down
    75. Utash út(HUN)-way, expedition, path->utas(HUN) – passenger utajit'(CZK)(SVK)-hide
    quzan(PAUS)-rain->uta(AROSI)-rain
    ut(PIE)->uts(LAT)-lice, parasites
    ud(PIE)-outside->ut(OENG)->ut(LGER)->ash(ENG)-ash
    76. Zamar zamar(SRBCRO)-fortress, castle šamar(CRO)-cheek, slap on the head, zamera(SVN)-sense of injustice, resentment, animosity, hatred, zaman(SVN)-in vain, for nothing, zamat(SVK)-velvet
    demh₂(PIE)-build, a house->tamaz(PGER)-tame->zam(OHGER)-tame
    77. Zambo zabosti(CRO)-to knock something into something
    78. Zurk zurkeltrutte(WFLEM)-a despicable or disagreeable person, typically a woman zurtiti(CRO)-stare, žurka(SRB,SVN)-party, zurčať(SVK)-bubble
    zurück(GER)-back, backwards, to the rear, stand back!

By analyzing the table, you can see that some translations coincide with the translations resulting from the game. Although they are inaccurate, they suggest that it is from them that the final words were created. For example: ‘Aka Bora’ (Leather Armor) according to the table above, consists of two parts: “aka” meaning “to drive” in Old Swedish originally derived from Proto-Indo-European “*h₂eǵ” which can be translated as “to drive” or “plough animal”. The skin of cows or other plough animals was often used to make lightweight armor or clothing. ‘Bora’ depending on which translation we take, will mean “to bear”, “carry” or “fight”, “warrior”. Combining both words, ‘Aka Bora’ translates as “plough animal to bear/carry” or “plough animal fight/warrior”. Assuming that the orc race is one of the oldest, and that their language is often not understood by their own brethren, it can be assumed that it is very simplistic in nature. Meeting even orcs communicating in the language of humans, we do not have the slightest doubt that they are a primitive race. Therefore, the translation “ploguh animal to bear/carry” by refining can be understood as “carry the skin of a plough animal” which leads to “leather armor.” In the table below, I will present the sounds of orcas using the vocabulary of humans.

Table 2: Noises made by orcas in the language of humans

# Monster Sounds
    1. Hacker Feel the wrath of me dos attack!
    You’re next!
    Gimme free gold!
    Me sooo smart!
    Me have a cheating link for you!
    Me is GM!
    Gimme your password!
    Me just need the code!
    Me not stink!
    Me other char is highlevel!
    2. Bibby Bloodbath Don’t run, you’ll just lose precious fat.
    Hex hex!
    3. Grimgor Guteater Don’t run, You’re burning off precious fat
    4. Orc Cultist All power to the orcs!
    5. Orc Cult Fanatic YAAARRRG!
    6. Orc Cult Inquisitor You unorcish scum will die!
    7. Orc Cult Minion Orc Powaaa!
    8. Orc Cult Priest We will crush all oposition!
    9. Elite Orc Guard No – you can’t fool this one with an orc outfit. He needs to be distracted.
    10. The Axeorcist Blood! Carange! Muhahaha!”, “DEESTRUCTIOON!”
    11. Orclops Ravager Me will break you bad!
    Crushing! Smashing! Ripping! Yeah!!
    Me like sound of breaking bones!!
    It’s Clobbering Time!
    12. Orclops Doomhauler Me strong, You weak!
    Me Smash!
    13. Orc Shaman Human stinkk!

It’s time to move on to meat and try to translate specific dialogues and orc sounds in accordance with Table 1. In translations, I will often use synonyms and thesaurus terms with the same meaning but better suited to a specific fragment. However, I will try to keep as much as possible from the original part of the article. I’ll start the translation with the dialogue we know the most about – the dialogue with Blind Orc.

Player: Hi.

Blind Orc: Buta humak! – Proud human!

Description: Often ‘buta’ is translated as “stupid'”. This would fit the above fragment, but ‘buta’ also occurs in the book, where we can find the excerpt “orc buta bana”. Assuming that in this case, ‘bana’ would mean “strike” or “slayer” then ‘buta’ would have a double meaning, referring to an unwanted visitor – a human – and one’s own race – the orcs. Therefore, I believe that the most appropriate translation will be “proud” as a synonym for “arrogant”.

Player: Charach. – Greetings.

Blind Orc: Ikem Charach maruk – Me greet the weakling.

Description: Maruk was described in Table 1 as “soft”, “gentle”. It is likely that Blind Orc, as a person who possesses the craft of blacksmithing, addresses the other orc with a show of his superiority but without insulting him. Therefore, he uses such vocabulary towards the orc as: “softie”, “weaker” or “wimp”. ‘Ikem’ has been split into “ik” – i, and “em” – to be. Based on the orcs’ statements in the human language, I translated it as “me”.

Player: Ikem goshak. – Me buy.

Blind Orc: Ikem pashak porak, bata, dora. Ba goshak maruk? – Me sell weapon, thing to hitting, something to hold. Are you buying the weakling?

Player: Goshak bata. – Buy thing to hitting.

Blind Orc: Ikem pashak aka bora, tulak bora, grofa. Ba goshak maruk? – Me sell cattle clothing, fighting clothing, studded helmet. Are you buying the weakling?

Player: Goshak aka bora / tulak bora / grofa. – Buy cattle clothing / fighting clothing / studded helmet.

Blind Orc: Maruk goshak ta? – The weakling will buy it?

Player: Mok. – Yes.

Blind Orc: Maruk rambo zambo! – The weakling bacame brave one!

Player: Burp. – No.

Blind Orc: Buta maruk klamuk! – Proud weakling also unpleasant!

Player: Goshak porak. – Buy weapon.

Blind Orc: Ikem pashak charcha, burka, burka bata, hakhak. Ba goshak maruk? – Me sell sabre, a tool making noise, a tool for hitting making noise, chopping hoe. Are you buying the weakling?

Player: Goshak dora. – Buy something to hold.

Blind Orc: Ikem pashak donga. Ba goshak maruk? – Me sell cover. Are you buying the weakling?

Player: Goshak batuk. – Buy bow.

Blind Orc: Ahhhh, maruk goshak batuk? – Ahhhh, the weakling buy a bow?

Player: Goshak Pixo – Buy sharp tips.

Blind Orc: Maruk goshak tefar pixo ul batuk? – The weakling buy decaying sharp tips intended bow?

Player: Futchi. – Bye.

Blind Orc: Futchi! – Bye!

Blind Orc: Maruk nixda! – The weakling nothing there!

Before explaining further, it is worth quoting a book written by one of the minotaurs in Minotaur Hell to have context of what role orcas play in the system on Rookgaard.

In the next part of the article I will try to translate the Orcish books based on Table 1. Book “5 5 5 5 2 charcha” is generally understood, in addition, its translation also results from the content above, so I will omit it here.

taka arash ouk karak minotaur – take by assault but unyielding minotaur

batash ferut ouk taka – strike hurtly but take

minotaur karakim kiskesh – minotaur unyielding maimed

ORC BUTA BANA – ORC PROUD SLAYERS

BUTA BANA – PROUD SLAYERS

Description: The book is probably about a planned rebellion against the minotaurs. The meaning of the word ‘taka’ is under a big question mark. The occurrence of this word in the second line is not fully understandable in the case of the translation into “take”. I believe that the use of this word should also be understood as simplified “to take someone” in the sense of “catch”. The ‘Batash’ in Table 1 has not been translated. However, the first part of the word is ‘bata’ which has already been described as “thing to hitting”. In this translation, however, I had to improvise and only refer to this hint.

Omark ikem goshak ba batuk – Omark me buy bow

Booz karek utash gort mora – Booz worries expedition on top nightmare

ouk bota bana ikem – but a tool for hitting a slayer me

Description: Omark and Booz are understood as names. In the other two books, all words are written in lowercase or entirely in uppercase as something emotional, so they do not use capital letters or sentences ending with a period etc. It seems to be a polite form or an expression of respect. Perhaps I should translate the last sentence differently. But for this rehearsal, I was guided by the thought “but I, the slayer, have something to hit” so Booz has nothing to worry about.

Additionally:

“Booz Name Meaning

South German and Swiss German: regional (Alemannic) nickname from Middle High German boese ‘ridiculous person low-standing servant’ or from an ancient Germanic personal name Bozo” [11]

Would Jester Bozo be an even more interesting character or is it just a coincidence?

Translate of signs.

FuTCHi MaRuK buTA – Go aWaY prOUd WeAklinG

Description: ‘Futchi’ is translated “go away” in this case, taking an example from the sign in front of the mainland orc fortress that reads: “Orrc Land, gow awaay!”.

BuRP HuMAk BaTASh! – No sTrIKe HuMAN!

Description: “No sTrIKe HuMAN!” understood as a warning against attack. If you attack man, you may regret it.

At the very end, there is a translation of the sounds of the orcs. Many of them I have not been able to translate in a meaningful way. In the [] column I will mark which translation is more reliable and which is not.

Monster Sounds [] Translation Description
    Orc Grow truk grrr
    Prek tars, dekklep zurk Uncertain companion, girl despicable
    Grak brretz Cooing during a march This is not exactly the sound made by the orc itself, but more of a description. An example of such a noise occurs in the case of trolls that say ‘Gruntz!’, probably understood as English “grunts”.
    Buta Humak Proud Human
    Orc Spearman Ugaar! Land!
    Orc Warrior Alk! Fat!
    Trak grrr brik
    Grow truk grrr
    Orc Shaman Grak brrretz gulu. Cooing during a cold march. Look up “Grak brretz”
    Orc Berserker Krak ORRRRRRK!
    Orc Leader Ulderek Futgyr Human Ulderek padded with Humans
    Orc Warlord Ikem rambo zambo! I became brave one!
    Orc buta bana! Orc proud slayers!
    Ranat Ulderek! Defeat of Ulderek!
    Fetchi Maruk Buta Run away proud the weakling Although there is no translation of ‘fetchi’ it is a word close to ‘futchi’. In translating “run”, I modeled it on the vocabulary spoken by orcas who know the language of humans.
    Rorc Kroaaah!! Destruction!!
    Butak <crooooarck> bana zamar! Arrogants <crooooarck> strike the fortress!
    Krrrooow truaaak kiiiii!
    Cublarc the Plunderer Orc arga Huummmak! Orc hunts Huummman!
    Renegade Orc Harga Puchak Muhmak! Prize for the stinky boy!
    Warlord Ruzad Ruzad buta bana Ruzad proud slayer
    Baron Brute Mash’n! Carange!
    Kaknaknork KRAK ORC DEMON
    Running Elite Orc Guard UAAAAH FETCHI! UAAAAH RUN!
    Dworc Venomsniper / Dworc Fleshhunter / Dworc Voodoomaster Grow truk grrrrrr.
    Brak brrretz! Quick March Look up “Grak brretz”
    Prek tars, dekklep zurk Uncertain companion, girl despicable
    1. Vocabulary
    # Orc words Logical or found translation Translation based on Table 1 and interpreted
    1. Aka bora Leather armor Cattle clothing
    2. Alk Fat
    3. Aluk
    4. Arash Assault
    5. Arga Above Hunting
    6. Ba Expression of surprise, doubt, assumption, disapproval, confirmation, disgust
    7. Bana Slayer
    8. Bata Armor or helmet Thing to hitting
    9. Batash Strike
    10. Batuk Bow Bow
    11. Booz One of the orcish names
    12. Bota Tool for hitting
    13. Brak Quick
    14. Bretz March
    15. Brik
    16. Burka Short sword A tool making noise
    17. Burka bata Sword A tool for hitting making noise
    18. Burp No No
    19. Buta Proud / Arrogant
    20. Butak Arrogants
    21. Charach Hi Greetings
    22. Charcha Sabre Sabre
    23. Dekklep
    24. Donga Brass Shield Cover
    25. Dora Shield Something to hold
    26. Ferut Hurt
    27. Fetchi Run
    28. Futchi Bye Bye / Go away
    29. Futgyr Padded
    30. Gort On top
    31. Goshak Offer / Trade / Buy Offer / Trade / Buy
    32. Grak Cooing
    33. Grofa Studded helmet Studded helmet
    34. Grow
    35. Gulu Cold
    36. Hakhak Hatchet Chopping hoe
    37. Harga Prize
    38. Humak Human Human
    39. Ikem I I + to be / Me
    40. Karak Unyielding
    41. Karakim Unyielding
    42. Karek Wooried
    43. Ki
    44. Kiskesh Maimed
    45. Klamuk Unpleasant
    46. Krak
    47. Kroah Destruction
    48. Krow
    49. Maruk Weakling
    50. Mash’n Carange
    51. Mok Yes Yes
    52. Mora Nightmare
    53. Muhmak Boy
    54. Napak
    55. Nixda Nothing there
    56. Omark One of the orcish names
    57. Ouk But
    58. Pashak Sell Sell
    59. Pixo Arrows Sharp tips
    60. Porak Weapon
    61. Prek
    62. Puchak Stinky
    63. Rambo Brave one
    64. Ranat Defeat
    65. Ruzad One of the orcish names
    66. Ta
    67. Taka Take
    68. Tars
    69. Tefar Decaying
    70. Trak
    71. Truk
    72. Tulak bora Studded armor Fighting clothing
    73. Ugaar Land
    74. Ul Intended
    75. Utash Expedition
    76. Zamar Fortress
    77. Zambo Became
    78. Zurk
    1. Conclusions

While many of the translations are certainly wrong and different from Knightmare’s intent, some seem to have the correct meaning. There is no need to cheat that most of it is guesswork, but it is presented with a line of thought that can be evaluated. I don’t think the already known translations are incorrect, but I think they were much less accurate in the original version. It is hard to judge which sounds are only sound-like words and which are specific words. After all, the orc language was created for the quest and the rest probably doesn’t matter much. I don’t regret the time spent on translating because it was interesting to delve into the subject and learn the secret of the orcs, or at least deeply believe it.

[1] Genesis

[2] “Intelligence of Orcs” by Silvius, part of the content Tibia by CipSoft GmbH

[3] „Orc society” by Puldrak, part of the content Tibia by CipSoft GmbH

[4] „My travels” part of the content Tibia by CipSoft GmbH

[5] „Mystic portal” part of the content Tibia by CipSoft GmbH

[6] Interview by TibiaBR Team, via email (https://forums.tibiabr.com/threads/378403-TibiaBR-entrevista-Knightmare)

[7] etymologeek.com/

[8] Wiesław Boryś, Wacław Fedorowicz, Krystyna Herej-Szymańska, Wanda Namysłowska, Władysław Sędzik, Franciszek Sławski, Tadeusz Szymański, Maria Wojtyła-Świerzowska „Język prasłowiański” Tom 1 – 8, Zespół Zakładu Słowianoznastwa PAN

[9] en.wiktionary.org/

[10] lingea.pl

[11] https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=booz

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A password will be emailed to you.